Jannet Walsh of, Murdock, Minnesota. Photo by Jannet Walsh. Copyright ©2021 Jannet Walsh. All Rights Reserved
Subscribe to blog by email – Get updates on latest news from Jannet Walsh!
Visual journalist, photographer, writer, strategic communications professional, and educator
“Professional hands-on experiences span workforce, strategic communications, journalism, multimedia, social media and teaching. This unique skillset equips me to create effective content and educate responsible students for a society where, with a mobile device or computer, everyone is the media.“Jannet Walsh
Jannet Walsh’s photos and videos have been featured by CNN, CNN iReport, HLN, The New York Times Company and the California Academy of Sciences.
Jannet Walsh at a glance
Master of Fine Arts English in Creative Nonfiction Writing, with Publishing Concentration, Augsburg University, Minneapolis, Minn.
Master of Arts in photography, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
Bachelor of Science – mass communications with advertising-public relations emphasis. Minor in marketing and general business, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, Minn.
- EDUCATOR – Jannet Walsh was most recently Assistant Professor, Multimedia and Strategic Communications at St. Cloud State University, SCSU, St. Cloud, Minnesota. Teaching appointments include topics of public relations, strategic communications, multimedia, photojournalism, in addition to serving as academic advisor, advisor to student organizations, chair of department scholarship committee, and more.
- INNOVATOR, FOUNDER – Jannet is the founder of Husky Agency, a pro bono student agency working with campus and community clients and partners to gain strategic communication experience, including social media, to create professional portfolios and develop skills and confidence. View some of the clients and partners at Husky Agency website.
- STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION PROFESSIONAL – During the Great Financial Crisis, Jannet worked on a project funded by the U.S. Department of Labor, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, (ARRA) involving health care, green jobs, technology and career training programs. Wrote press releases, created promotional videos, writing a career and workforce newspaper column, and other collateral.
- MULTIMEDIA – Jannet taught an Introduction to Multimedia, 2015 to 2019 at SCSU. COMM 240, now know as MCOM 207. Topics include basic web design, creating an online portfolio with WordPress, introduction to Adobe Creative Suite applications, mobile video editing, and other multimedia tools.
Teaching website for multimedia and more, Multimedia Toolkit
Student websites, WordPress – Jannet helped approximately 550 students at SCSU build online portfolio websites with WordPress content management system, 2015-2019. This includes students in her multimedia, public relations, strategic communications, photojournalism, independent study courses, and academic mentoring. There’s 39 percent of the web built with WordPress as of January 2021, according to WordPress, measured by W3Techs.
- PHOTOJOURNALISM, VISUAL JOURNALISM – Teaching a photojournalism (visual journalism) course, she mentored student photojournalists while documenting SCSU’s Sesquicentennial, 2018 This entailed creating Husky Media, a website to house online student team projects including written stories, photo essays, videos, and teaching WordPress website content management system practices for teams. Essentials include: story telling with digital photos, video and social media, team and leadership skills, meeting deadlines, along with individual student online portfolios.
- BUSINESS OWNER – Jannet worked as a freelance photographer, Limburgs Dagblad, Herleen, the Netherlands, a daily Dutch language newspaper; North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) portrait contract, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, Germany and Dutch language publications. Established Dutch registered photo agency JWK Foto. Member of Dutch Association of Photojournalists.
- TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE, TEFL, VOLUNTEER – Online English language teacher during pandemic, 2020. My Culture Connect, mycultureconnect.org, a nonprofit serving rural junior and senior high students who were native Chinese speakers, from Changhua, Taiwan, online via Skype. This includes tutoring students at the elite Changhua Art High School, with top ranked student musicians in Taiwan. Developed an English learning project specific for musicians learning English, shared with Changhua’s English teaching faculty for future use. View cover, along with photos by Jannet taken from screen images via Skype of students at Changhua Art High School, Changhua City, Taiwan.
- LAUNCH OF NEW NATURE WEBSITE, JANUARY 2021 – JannetWalsh.art. Find new photos, video, blogs, and art of wildlife in their own environment, especially birds.
“In my almost thirty years of working at SCSU, I can honestly say that I have never met a faculty member who has done more to help students prepare for the world of work than Jannet. In addition to partnering with the Career Center and experienced industry professionals to help her students improve their interviewing skills, professional portfolios, LinkedIn profiles and employment networks, Jannet’s creation and supervision of the Husky Agency has given students real world hands-on experience and professional development that many would have been lacking without her initiative and support.”Andy Ditlevson, St. Cloud State University Associate Director, Career Center, Emeritus